Tuesday 29 January 2013

Ups and Downs

There's been plenty of ups and downs over the last few days. On Sunday Marcus and Len came up to visit, which gave me a real lift. We even went for a walk outside (me with my wacko jacko face mask on), the first fresh air I've experienced for two weeks....well, as fresh as it can be in Hammersmith!!

Yesterday was not a good day. I didn't sleep well the previous night and just felt tired and ill all day. I also had a temperature spike, so the doctor started me on IV antibiotics....they're not prepared to wait and take any risk of infection at this stage, and rightly so. My platelet count had dropped to 11, so I also ended up having a platelet transfusion.

Today has been much better, my temperature is almost back to normal, platelets are now 46 and I'm feeling brighter. Even the ulcers in my mouth seem to be improving. The only minor blot on the landscape is a painful skin infection I've got under my armpit. The doctors aren't unduly worried by it and hopefully the antiseptic cream I've been given will clear it over the next few days.

So, another day ticked off, another day closer to waving goodbye to hospital food!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Patrick - sorry your stats took a dip, but happy to hear things are headed back in the right direction. So glad you're feeling better. We are all thinking of you. More love from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrick Life is always full of ups & downs but great to hear how you deal with everything in a fantastic positive way with of course the backing of Lena & Marcus & all your Family & friends.Keep it up my friend we need you fit for the Boyz golf trip in September :)
    Best Wishes
    Geo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'll be the temperature spike knocking off the platelets! Keeping riding the rollerocaster, some git has nicked the brakes BUT the seatbelts are on nice & tight - and soon enough you'll be back on the flat and straight bit! Jackie x

    ReplyDelete