Sunday 6 January 2013

118 Percent

Blog groupies wait for no man (so Len tells me), so it's probably best that I provide an update on what's been happening in my drug fuelled life since New Year. To put it simply, I'm now officially 118 percent of the man I should be for my age and body mass.To most of you, this probably comes as no surprise, but for the doubters amongst you, I feel abliged to explain this some what bold statement.

I went up to Hammersmith hospital on 2nd Jan for my pre transplant 'work up'. This was to confirm that my vital organs are strong enough to go through the high dosage therapy and consisted of various heart tests (ECG and blood flow), chest X-Ray and lung function. They also took a LITRE of my blood for various tests (I did have slightly raised eyebrows when I heard how much was being taken). As far as I'm aware the results were all positive, but it was my lung function that was particularly impressive, being 118% of the predicted level. I've simply taken this figure and logically applied it to my entire manhood.....statistics never lie you know :-). Most importantly, if anyone's got a kiddies party coming up and you need loads of baloons blowing up....I'm ya man!!

On a serious note, this all means that I'm good to go when it comes to the transplant. The latest plan has me going in on Monday 14th Jan, with the high dosage therapy on 15th and the stem cells reintroduced on the 17th. Part of the 'work up' also involved a discussion with one of the transplant ward doctors, to run through the schedule of treatment and likely scenarios/side effects. I'll update you with more details in my next blog. What I will say is that I've tolerated the treatment well up till now, and with age on my side I'm going to try and approach this as positively and confidently as I can. I do however realise that this final stage of treatment will be far more aggressive to my body than the previous phases, and the likelihood is that I'll pick up infections whilst I'm neutropenic i.e. have no white blood cells/antibodies as a result of the chemotheraphy killing off that part of my bone marrow. Again, side effects from the chemotherapy and re-introduction of my stem cells can vary, but I've been talking a lot with my body during this treatment and I will continue to do so, as it's done me proud up till now.

As I said, I'll give you a more detailed view of what's to come in my next blog.....but for now its off to bed for this 118% man!!

5 comments:

  1. Think we'll allow you an 18% inflated ego in the circumstances. Em was planning to visit and hold up abusive cards to the window outside isolation but I thought that a bit tasteless so you'll need to find your own entertainment.

    Could swing by for a 10 min coffee if you're around at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith Swindon celebrated New year with us & tipped me that you were blogging, so have being doing a little peeping toming (Cov reference!).I drove home from a few days Skiing in Norway last week & was reminded about driving us home in a storm with Alan Cole & your bro in the late 90's I think. My Skiing has not improved since then, although when 40 tried boarding which I do even slower than my skiing. Soon 50 like so can blow some ballons up for me. (I'm still a big kid according to me family) Good luck... don@jardine.se

    ReplyDelete
  3. 118% Man .. no wonder Lena’s always got a smile on her face.

    Our thoughts will be with you for the 14th … Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll leave the smart aleck comments to Andy...he's the comedian in the family. I love that you keep posting positive news and look forward to it continuing. We will all be thinking of you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear positive news - thinking of you and wishing you the best for the next bit - Trudie

    ReplyDelete