Thursday 17 January 2013

Extreme nausea

Yesterday was not much fun....wouldn't wish a day like that on anyone. I felt severely nauseous from about 4am Wednesday morning all the way through to about midday today...you know, just when you're on the verge of throwing up the whole time. Unfortunately all the anti nausea drugs in the world couldn't get on top of it. I couldn't get to sleep....not even with the soothing waterfall percussion coming from the man in the room above me weeing every hour, so it all adds up. Before you ask, I haven't yet witnessed a number two resonating through the concrete ceiling!! My appetite has also disappeared, so trying to get any sort of food down me is a real chore...but I've got to try so I can keep my strength up for when I go neutropenic.

Unfortunately the nausea ment that I couldn't fully appreciate the actually stem cell transplant that took place at 10:30 this morning. Fortunately Len was up here to enjoy the whole 'Heston Blumenthal' experience. The nurse brought the stem cells, which were cryogenically frozen, into the room in a tank of liquid Nitrogen and proceeded to immerse them in a warming bath to thaw them out. They were then served to me in an IV drip bag. No side effects from the re-introduction of the stem cells so far.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little better now (hence the blog) and hopefully things will continue to improve from a nausea perspective over the next few days. Hang in there Hoban!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Patrick.

    Thinking of you in room 13 and wishing you all the best.
    Keep trying the lollies and hoping the nausea is improving.

    Love to Lena. Best wishes from David and Nicola from a cold Devon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the nausea, but I guess that was to be expected. Glad you're feeling better...onward and upward! Hugs from Wisconsin (it's darn cold here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask you doctor and nurses for Kytril (anti-nausea)...worked for me. jm
    Judy Malkiewicz, Mackay, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for every anti nausea you can get...dexamethasone is an option. Playstation and Fangtastics also work! Dave channel with multiple TOP GEAR repeats provides distraction. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew's room leaked after a heavy down pour = moved room after stem cell transplant and during neutropenia. Interesting scenario. Keep up the positive vibes for positive increase those numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rollercoaster rides always make you queasy.....Just keep thinking one day at a time - future improvement will take care of itself. Speak to you later in the week.

    ReplyDelete