Thursday 21 June 2012

Fatigue

Well, that's the first cycle of chemotherapy complete, so I've now got a rest period for 10 days until cycle two begins Monday week. I consider myself to be very fortunate to be looked after by the same medical nurse every time I go up for my therapy. She is very knowledgeable on the disease, its treatment and the potential side effects, and this familiarity and routine can only help us to build a strong and more personal understanding over the coming months.

Last night (Wednesday) proved to be a strange one. I felt fine in the morning, so went to work during the day, and then decided to go on a bike ride with Marcus along the river path when I got back. I'm already aware there is a noticeable dip in my mood and energy levels when I come off the steroids, so perhaps it was not the best night for me to then meet up with a few friends for a quick drink in the local pub in the evening. That said, I really enjoyed the chat, it gave me a lift. I just need to be more conscious and respectful of fatigue and the impact it has on my physical and mental limits.

Unfortunately, even though I felt tired I just couldn't get to sleep, and in a moment of complete madness, decided to take on the subject of 'what triggered my myeloma?' It's amazing what your mind can run away with....and it's never positive. Put it this way, I wasn't lying there thinking, you know what, this must of happened as a result of that flight over the Grand Canyon, when we were in Vegas last summer....funny that!! Intellectually, I know this has not been the result of a physical trauma or stressful experience, it is entirely random and unfortunate. Whether we like it or not, that's life. So, my conclusion...well, this seems to rule out any possibility of suing my builder for my illness...case closed!!

So, last night ended in me watching highlights of the final round of the US Open golf at 4 o'clock , followed by highlights of the second one day test match between England and the West Indies, with Len supportive as always, awake next to me, probably wondering why I didn't just stick to the 'what triggered my myeloma' debate, with the lights off...

It's going to be interesting to see how the 'rest' week goes. I'm expecting a dip over the weekend, but then I'm sure things will pick up as my body recovers over subsequent days. I'll keep you updated with the highs and lows, whether driven by physical condition or sporting achievements (not mine).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    Great news that the treatment is having the desired effect so quickly.

    Was taken aback when I heard, but think you're doing absolutely the right thing.



    Positive attitude, eat well and generally listen to what your body is telling you.

    Intrigued to see there was little fall out from the Sweden / England game. I though blogging might have been temporarily suspended, or has Len finally switched to being a closet England fan?

    Writing things down has always worked for me. Just seems to bring order to what is going on in one's mind. With things like this going on, you need as much clarity and focus as you can.

    Great to see those close by are keeping you in check when you're mind starts running away with itself. The internet can be a very distorted view of reality sometimes, and one needs to treat it appropriately.

    I see amongst all of this your sense of humour is still intact though.

    Speaking of which, writing is also a great way to express your feelings about subjects. You may have unknowingly read some of my prose in the past. Trap 1 4th floor TBA!

    Stick at it Pat, we're all behind you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don, great to hear from you. I think Len just honestly felt sorry for both teams after the England, Sweden match....just how bad can football get.

    Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful comments, send me your e-mail, would be good to try and meet up soon.....it's been a while mate.

    ReplyDelete