Wednesday 19 December 2012

Stage Two.....Tick

Another massive tick in the box on Monday, with a very positive outcome to my stem cell collection. All the bone pain over the weekend proved worthwhile as the growth hormone pushed my stem cell production into overdrive......"enough for 10 transplants" to quote the doctor. As the old saying goes "no pain, no gain", and it proved very much to be the case. The effects from my last chemo also joined the party over the weekend....boy was I tired. I just about had the energy to go and watch Marcus play fooball, but that then wiped me out for the rest of the day.

My old man (who's not a dustman and doesn't wear cor blimey trousers ) took me up to Hammersmith and was great company and support during the four hours I was hooked up to the apheresis machine. I must say, four hours lying still wasn't a bundle of fun, especially with my dodgey back aching like a.......er......aching back. Lots of tubes, IV bags, whiring noises and spinning knobs, but the outcome was a bag full of mini me's that looked very much like strawberry milkshake. The nurses were most excited.....it was all very 'celly' apparently!! I play it down, but in all seriousness, I can't emphasize enough  just how important it was to have a successful stem cell harvest. Without it I would at best have had to try another mobilisation drug, at worst, it could have been the end of the road with respect to having a transplant. So...all in all a huge step forward and a fantastic outcome to stage two of my treatment.

So, what now? Well, rest is on the cards for me on the run up to Christmas, trying to recover from the compound effects of chemo, growth hormones and lack of sleep. I'm not due back at Hammersmith hospital now until 2nd Jan, but still have a few visits to Kingston hospital for Zometa injections etc.

Looking forward to a relaxed Christmas with my family, good food and a few (too many) cheeky beverages!!

8 comments:

  1. What fantastic news! Am so,so happy for you! Hope you get lots of rest and have a ver happy Christmas. Parcels arrived forKaty and Eddie, and are under the tree for Christmas. Love to Marcus and Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news bruv,
    Will miss you,Lena and Marcus over Christmas but considering the coffy sneezy slemmy weezy state of our kids right now, probably a good thing.
    Looking forward to next Christmas instead when I promise to lock the little horrors in their room.
    Luv yer,
    Staveley, Milicent and the sicky ones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days when I could make a nurse excited with a little mini me in there hands, although I don’t remember putting anything in a bag for them to take away.

    Merry Christmas to you all … Keith & Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. That your body was able to pump out so many stem cells is a great sign that your marrow and cells are in great shape. But there is NO WAY that anyone could ever withstand ten transplants. Even one can be debilitating in many patients, as the stem cells simply do not repopulate all the tissues that are destroyed by high dose chemotherapy. How else to account for long-term suppression of bone marrow in many transplant patients, as well as the host of other organ defects, such as cardiovascular problems that can occur in many patients after an ASCT.

    I say this not to be pessimistic - a stem cell transplant can still be miraculous and vital option in some patients - but proceed with some forebearance and be sure to properly grill you physician as to the big picture and consequences.

    Just my two cents -- as I too recently collected stem cells - but not as many as you! Feel free to ignore everthing I said, as each person's journey will be an individual one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news Patrick & fantastic to have you so positive keep it up.I am convinced that this is the key to you succeeding.
    Bit worried about the strawberry milkshake but if it works don't fix it.
    Have a great Xmas & New Year & best wishes to Lena & Marcus
    George

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear, hopefully xmas will now be a lot more upbeat if you ignore all the religion that seems to be creeping into it.

    Like Staveley, our family full of norovirus and flu not to mention the joy of 2 pets passing away. Not sure which I'm more overdosed on - Lemsip or kids TV.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spinning knob? No wonder Len married you!

    You doing the whole injections in the stomach thing that bruise like a....something that bruises a lot?

    Thinking of you all Pat, you've a lovely supportive family behind you as well as friends and colleagues.

    A big shout out to all of you and wishing you all a fun, peaceful Christmas.

    Take care big fella,
    Don, Siobhan and Gracie XXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this a little late. Your blog beats Eastenders! Happy news and joy! Great progress. Thinking of you..... now moving to the next episode(post) of the "Hobans" Merry Xmas!!!! Eaman

    ReplyDelete