Monday 15 October 2012

Milkybar

We’re at the start of cycle 7 and it’s not just any ordinary chemo day. Today I’m celebrating my 25th Velcade injection. Bit disappointed the hospital hadn’t taken the time to decorate the room or bake a cake…..anyone would think they’ve got something more important to be doing!! Anyway, putting all that to one side, they’ve taken my blood today and I should get the paraprotein results on Thursday. The last 2 counts have been eleven, so here’s hoping it’s gone down to 10. I also had my monthly dose of Zometa, the bone strengthening drug. I’ve been told I need to take this drug for the next 2 years. I tried to convince them that eating several Milkybars a month would likely have the same effect, but they just wouldn’t listen to my sound logical argument.

My cough/cold still lingers, however I got the results of my chest x-ray today. All clear from an infection perspective, but apparently I have long lungs. Didn’t have the nerve to ask whether this was a good or bad thing…….well Mr Hoban, most people with that kind of length generally end up lapsing into a coma by their 46th birthday…oh well, we now await Thursday and the next paraprotein count.
I spent the weekend over in Sweden visiting my bruv and family. Also met up with some old friends and it was great to catch up with everyone again, talk about the good old days, whinge about the kids and wonder why they don’t behave quite as perfectly as we did when we were that age. Do they not realise just how lucky they are!! I even got to play golf…well, I say play…. hacking and blundering my way around a soggy field is probably a better description. Some would say a good walk ruined, but I actually had a really good time. Clearly not in the same league as lying next to the pool in the Caribbean, ice cold beer in hand, but you know what I mean. I didn’t even swear or break a club, that’s how much I enjoyed it!!
Finally, following the weekend away I’ve decided I must start to look more ill, especially if I’m ever going to secure a high sympathy vote. Too many comments on how well I'm looking surely can't be healthy for me!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patrick,

    I apologize for posting this on your blog, I just didn’t know how else to contact you. My name is Linda and I’m the production assistant for an online health community called (www.wegohealth.com ). I came across your blog while doing some research into the online Blood Cancer community. I was so impressed with the great resource you have created for the greater Blood Cancer community.

    Just wanted to drop you a quick note because we recently launched a new video platform called WEGOHealth.tv and are in the process of building a Blood Cancer Channel featuring the advice, information and wisdom of Health Activists like yourself. I think you would be an excellent addition to the channel and I would love to chat with you about possibly creating a video with us!

    Please check out our site; http://tv.wegohealth.com/ and get back to me at your convenience if you have any interest.

    I know this note is a little out of the blue and I understand if it’s not something you would be interested in, but I didn’t want you to miss out on the opportunity.

    Thanks,

    Linda
    Production Assistant
    WEGO Health
    Lindam@wegohealth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time in Sweden although I find your comparison between Torslanda golf course and a ploughed field mildly offensive.
    Still by the sound of things you'll soon re-locating to Hollywood and be playing golf in year round sunshine with Clint and Arnie !!

    Luv yer bruv

    ReplyDelete