Thursday 6 September 2012

Eleven

Got my full blood results today. My paraprotein, IgG  level had reduced by one  to 11 g/L at the end of cycle four….I’m sounding  like a city trader!! Based on the brief conversation I had with my consultant over the phone and his continued positive comments on my response to the treatment, I should probably be happier than I’m actually feeling. However, thoughts of this ‘plateauing’ have started to creep into my head….niggling doubts and the uncertainty of what next if levels stay the same. The treatment plan remains the same; continue with the same drugs to maximise the response as a lead into the high-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplant. The results from the next two cycles will no doubt go a long way towards determining timings; providing my paraprotein levels continue to fall, I’ll continue with eight cycles of Velcade. If the level remains the same, I’ll be into a probable bone marrow biopsy to determine the actual concentration of plasma cells in my bone marrow prior to any decisions being made.

I’ve also been thinking more about the tumour on my sternum.…yes, it has clearly decreased in size. But, having only had a clinical examination, there’s no exact measures to quantify what the reduction has been…..spot the engineer kicking in!! I can still feel a lump, so next time I talk to my consultant I’ll be raising the subject of future scans.
A large part of my recent feelings of anxiousness stem from the stage I’ve now reached in my treatment plan. Today, the decisions that will soon have to be made are hanging over me. I know, focus on the now and don’t run ahead of yourself.  Easier on some days, difficult on others….and now is one of those more testing periods. Today has been a day of thoughts and tears. Tomorrow will hopefully be more positive.

Eleven.

 

5 comments:

  1. Nice pic.... Keep smiling

    And the thought of Terry and the rest of Chelsea's finest at the Cou Namp chapel made me chuckle

    Steve M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to think of something caring and sympathetic to say but I can't get past the tshirt, you big puff! Eleven sounds pretty good when you remember where you started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any city trader would be pleased at a 10 percent change... I'm no expert but would presume the lower the values get the small the changes will be.... Positive long term thoughts are what we want.... ask Warren Buffet..../Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sitting there with 2 pretty girls in the background & what does Patrick do sits there with a T-shirt with PUFFS on it & a half pint of shandy.....
    Great to hear things are moving along so well P & yes don't run before you can walk & you will get there just the same...Stay positive which I know you will my friend...
    Cheers
    George

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realise that was shandy - thats an absolute disgrace ... pull yourself together man

    Steve M

    ReplyDelete