Tuesday 5 February 2013

Settling in

Day two of being home and I'm starting to settle back into family life. The final leg of my journey back to recovery has began and even over the last few days it's become much more real just how long this recuperation period will take. Yesterday I was probably working off adrenalin....today the reality check. I went for a 20 minute walk outside to get some 'fresh' air, as I did yesterday, but felt absolutely drained when I returned home. I've been for a lie down for a couple of hours, but even now feel very lethargic and tired. It's funny how the isolation room almost disguises just what a lack of energy you actually have. I did do some exercise whilst in the room, but you invariably spend most of your time sitting or laying in bed. At home I'm up and about, only really pottering (like the old man I am), but even that wears you out quite quickly. Even the background sickly feeling has returned, so I'm back on the anti nausea tablets to ensure it's kept under control. It's all going to take time, l knew that...three to six months is typical, to get back to somewhere near my pre-transplant condition levels. Saying that, I've got 86 episodes of The Sopranos to get through....that should take me into April!!

Anyway, being back home is just wonderful...not only familiar surroundings, but also the fact that the medical part of the transplant is over, and at least up until now, has been a real success. I'm back at Hammersmith tomorrow for blood tests and to see my consultant.  We're not really going to know just how successful my treatment has been until my next bone marrow biopsy,  which is likely to be in three months time. Until that time the hope is that my blood counts continue to rise and that I don't pick up any infections or viruses. I'm also having the Hickman line out tomorrow.  I'm a little apprehensive just to experience what was meant by "we just give it a little tug and hopefully it will come free". I'm hoping the pictures I have in my mind of me bracing myself and the doctor giving a mighty heave with both feet against the side of the bed do not become a reality. I'm sure it's going to be slightly more clinical than that.

So, I'm back home and settling in....and I have my lovely family back for support.

2 comments:

  1. Bro the Hickman is nothing.I didn't even feel it. Piece of cake. Glad you back home and doing better. I had mine back in June and didn't get back to my new normal until September. Kick back and relax, as hard as it is to do. You'll be recovered before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,

    Been keeping an eye on your road to recovery and I'm so glad that your finally getting there (however long it takes), in addition to your 86 Soprano episodes get yourself (if you haven't already) Netflix and you'll be kept busy well into 2015 !!

    Hope all the family is well and keep up the fight old chap

    Kind Regards

    Alex Lowes

    ReplyDelete