Friday 17 August 2012

Sverige

It's been a while since my last post, so thought the least I could do was inform you that I'm still alive and kicking!

Having had a break from the chemo last week, we took the opportunity to spend a few days over with ‘me bruv’ and family in Sweden. So, with invalid travel insurance in my back pocket, we flew out to Gothenburg on Tuesday. It was great to see them all again, and we spent the week experiencing that perfect blend of relaxation, mixed with table tennis, sailing, fishing, baby crab massacring and Liseberg.



To add the final touches to an already fantastic week, family Hoban were very fortunate to get hold of tickets to the Olympic handball final, Sweden v France, on Sunday. What a superb day, and such a surprise and boost to be up in the Olympic Park on the last day of the Olympics. Having spent four years in Sweden following RIK (the Gothenburg handball team), I could even pretend to understood the rules!

Though it lacked the bikinis and shocking flesh exposure of the beach volleyball, it made up for it with excitement, drama, sweat (mine) and tears (Lens), the Swedish team narrowly missing out on gold by one goal...21-22.






                                   Spotted this famous couple in their baby grows!


In keeping with the Olympic theme, having got back home and turned on the TV to see the closing ceremony, there was Mo Farah appearing in an old episode of ' The Cube' (important to point out at this stage that I'm not a fan of the programme). Deciding to waste 20 minutes of my life watching how he got on, I now know that Mo Farah was the first person to 'beat the cube'. Sod the two Olympic gold medals he's just won, beating the cube is clearly the true measure of dedication and perseverance!!

Anyway, back on the chemo and steroids this week, and a return to my "menopausal" state, with the associated sleepless nights, hot flushes, weight gain etc. Still, with the continued support of my wife (she called me ‘Brownie’ last night, the name of Marcus’ hamster, I presume in honour of my gradual development of hamster cheeks), I know this treatment won’t result in any deep rooted psychological problems!!

And finally, hot off the press, I’ve just been given my paraprotein levels off the back of cycle three. Fab news, the level continues to fall and is now down to 12, exactly half the level I had at the start of all this. There is clearly a gradual ‘plateauing’ of my paraprotein level, but this is considered a normal reaction to induction treatment. Real positive news at the end of two great weeks!!


4 comments:

  1. Great news on the paraprotein front Pat.

    Have to ask (if others haven't already).....

    Have you a collection of photos of the Russian Volleyball team?
    I'm doing like a scrapbook thing of my favourite olympic athletes. Got a nice one of Jess Ennis, but could do with some others (don't want to be seen as xenophobic do I?)

    Keep strong chap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send out special orders in discrete packaging for £2.99, or gift wrapped in London 2012 themed paper for an extra £1.49.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good time here in Goatyborg.
    You'd think that with the 70% Taxes we pay in Sweden that the 'Royals' could afford to dress themselves properly when they go out in public.
    Brother Staveley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose at least they're wearing clothes. Our Royals appear to sometimes forget that bit!!

      Delete